WHO WE ARE
Because many people underestimate the developmental, emotional, psychological, and spiritual injuries that can result when people experience or witness traumatic events, Sidran Traumatic Stress Institute, Inc. (formerly Foundation) is:
• a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization of international scope that
• helps people understand, recover from, and treat:
• traumatic stress (including PTSD)
• dissociative disorders, and
• co-occurring issues, such as addictions, self injury, and suicidality.
We develop and deliver:
• educational programming
• resources for treatment, support, and self-help
• trauma-informed community and professional collaboration projects and
• publications about trauma and recovery
Sidran’s constituency is made up of any individuals or organizations touched by the effects of trauma, including
• adults, adolescents, and children who have experienced or witnessed traumatic events,
• supportive friends and family members,
• health, mental health, crisis, public safety, and victims services professionals
• support networks, schools, faith communities, and more
Sidran (SID-run) began in 1986 out of a family tragedy when a beloved family member who had been abused in childhood was subsequently diagnosed with serious, debilitating psychiatric problems and a related life-threatening medical disorder. Frustrated in their search for help for the complex needs of their family member at the time, the Sidran family convened professionals from a variety of disciplines, support program representatives, and national organizations to determine how they could best help their own loved one, and others. With each meeting it became apparent that gaps in basic understanding existed in service delivery, continuity of care, public policy, and sound research.
We were stunned by the lack of knowledge, information, and support we encountered, and became resolute in our desire to help expand the resources available for other recovering trauma survivors, their families, and caregivers.
-Sheila Sidran Giller, Founding Board Member
After assisting their own family member, the Sidran family decided to use their personal struggle and hard obtained knowledge to create an organization to fill these gaps. Sidran Institute now provides useful, practical information for child and adult survivors of any type of trauma, for families/friends, and for the clinical and frontline service providers who assist in their recovery. Sidran’s philosophy of education through collaboration brings together great minds (providers, survivors, and loved ones) to develop comprehensive programs to address the practical, emotional, spiritual and medical needs of trauma survivors.
The Sidran family provided the Institute’s founding gift and continues to provide approximately 10 percent of the organization's operating funds annually.